Monday, April 21, 2008

eBags Earthday Promotion

I checked my email early this morning to find an interesting promotion from eBags. I'm just about due for a new backpack. Two years of commuting, train riding and airline travel have taken a beating on my current backpack. I had never thought of 'green' alternatives when evaluating backpacks. This is a novel idea, so I'm copying the promotion here in case anyone else is looking for bags.

I'm not a fan of spending for the sake of spending (tax rebate anyone). But I am a proponent of spending wisely when replacements are due. For example, it doesn't make sense to go out and just buy a hybrid. You're not going to make up the expense of gas once you count the cost of a new vehicle, hybrid premium, production impacts, etc. However, last year when my very old Durango was on it's last leg, and not being that environmentally friendly with a few leaks here and there, we decided to replace it with a Ford Escape Hybrid. That turns out to have been a very good choice. In refinishing our kitchen last year, we reused some very sturdy components, replaced what was worn out, and purchased our countertops from a Virginia soapstone quary. We couldn't be happier with the results.

Like those examples, it's time to replace my commuting backpack, so instead of purchasing just any product, I'm looking for either something produced locally, or something a bit more environmentally friendly than it's competitors.

shop SPRING SALE

No comments:

Stories From Other Blogs